Graphic Design Basics
Design to communicate
- What we mean when we talk about design
- Why design matters to you
- How everyone can learn to think like a designer
Feeling inspired? Practice what you've learned by creating your own moodboard!
- How to begin the design process
- How to create a moodboard
- Where to find inspiration
Practice using visual space to enhance your content with this activity.
- How to use visual space to enhance your content
- The importance of grouping related items together
- How to use negative space effectively
Do this activity to learn how to align all your elements in one consistent way.
- The purpose of alignment
- How to use grids to keep your content organized
- How to align your elements in one consistent way
Wondering 'what the font should I choose?' Learn more about font styles in this activity.
What the font!?
- Understand the difference between serif, sans serif and display fonts and when to use them
- Learn how to use different font styles to match your message
- Create a go-to list of your favorite fonts
Practice some font pairing principles in this activity.
- Learn how to pair fonts by staying within one family
- Learn how to avoid conflict in font pairing
- Learn that opposites attract when it comes to fonts
Practice making your content pop with size, weight, color and style in this activity.
Make it pop!
- Use visual hierarchy to make the most important information stand out
- Create contrast with size, weight, colour, style
- Be bold when it comes to contrast
Let's look at complimentary, analagous and triadic color schemes in this activity.
Color wheel basics
- Understand the color wheel, looking at primary and secondary colors
- Learn about complementary, analogous and triad color relationships
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to create tints and shades with Canva.
Tints and shades
- Learn the difference between warm and cool colors
- Learn the difference between shading and tinting
- Learn how to add richness and variety to your color palette
- How to choose your colors based on a logical approach
- How to pick colour to fit your theme
- How to seek inspiration for your color palette
Let's practice combining text and images in this activity.
- How to choose the right image to tell a story
- How to work with negative space and composition
- How to give contrast to text
You have completed the course
Share and publish
- What file formats you can download your design as
- What file format should you choose
- The difference between JPEGs, PNGs and PDFs
You might also be interested in